P2EdTech: Parental Perspectives Towards Education Technology
In this field trip, we will conduct semi structured interviews with low income low literate urban parents in Mumbai to gain insights on their concerns and expectations from educational technology for their children. These insights reveal the challenges in designing educational technology that is sustainable, and lasts beyond the ‘experiment phase’, one of the biggest challenges in HCI4D research.
Field Trip Outline
Participants will be divided into subgroups of 4-5, including one organizer and one student who speaks the local language. Each subgroup will opportunistically recruit a parent/parents/parent-child to interview at the field trip location. For the semi-structured interviews, organizers will provide a list of questions, and consent and demographic forms (prints), a device for audio / video recordings (to be used in accordance with interviewee consent), and notepad and pens. Interviewee compensation is yet to be decided, but will be provided as well. Two organizers will also be capturing omnidirectional videos at the location, and will not take part in the interview process.
- 9am: Meet at IIT-B and travel to location (TBA)
- 10am: Divide into two groups and opportunistically recruit parents for interviews.
- 12-1pm: break for packed lunch
- 1pm: continue with interviews
- 3pm- 3:30: short break
- 3:30 – 4:30pm: last interview session
- 4:30pm: end of field trip
- 6pm: Group dinner and discussion / conference poster ideation
Participant Profile/Selection Criteria
We welcome experts, researchers, teachers and students working on Educational Technology for K12, especially in the HCI4D context. Participants with expertise on the Indian education system, or working with NGOs on inclusive education are also welcome. Masters and PhD students who are interested in this work and speak the local language are also encouraged to apply. Moreover, we will also accept two participants who are interested in learning how to capture omnidirectional videos. Participants will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis over and above these criteria.
How to Register
Please email a pdf with the following information to spi.research.group (at) gmail.com:
- name and affiliation
- domain of expertise / research interests
- how does this work align with your own research interest/expertise (max 250 words)
- optionally, you can also submit a relevant publication in this domain
- Registration ends: May 31st 2017
- Notification: June 7th 2017
- Online session: TBA
- Field trip: 25th September 2017, 9am – 4:30pm