ICT4Anganwadi: ICT Based Interventions for Anganwadi Healthcare Workers
The aim of this field trip is to understand the ICT usage among the Anganwadi Healthcare workers in Mumbai. We plan to conduct semi-structured interviews and researcher observations to gain insight into how the healthcare workers are using technological interventions in their day-to-day work-life. The study sheds light on designing text free interfaces for low literate healthcare workers.
Field Trip Outline
Participants will be divided into subgroups of 4-5, including one organizer and one student who speaks the local language. Each subgroup will interview an Anganwadi healthcare worker at the field trip location. For the semi-structured interviews, organizers will provide a list of questions, and consent and demographic forms (prints), a device for audio / video recordings (to be used in accordance with interviewee consent), and notepad and pens. Interviewee compensation is yet to be decided, but will be provided as well. Two organizers will also be capturing omnidirectional videos at the location, and will not take part in the interview process.
Participant Profile/Selection Criteria
We welcome experts, researchers, teachers and students working on text free user interfaces for low literate user, especially in the healthcare context. Participants with experience designing applications for low literate users or with expertise on the Indian healthcare system, are encouraged to apply. Masters and PhD students who are interested in this work and speak the local language are also welcome. Participants will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis over and above these criteria.
How to Register
Please email with the subject ‘ICT4Anganwadi’, and a pdf with the following information to spi.research.group (at) gmail.com:
- name and affiliation
- domain of expertise / research interests
- how does this work align with your own research interest/expertise (max 250 words)
- optionally, you can also submit a relevant publication in this domain
- Registration ends: May 31st 2017
- Notification: June 7th 2017
- Online session: TBA
- Field trip: 26th September 2017, 9am – 4:30pm
- 9 am: Meet at IIT-B and travel to location (TBA)
- 10 am: Divide into two groups and recruit Anganwadi workers for interviews.
- 12-1 pm: break for packed lunch
- 1 pm: continue with interviews
- 3 pm- 3:30: short break
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm: last interview session
- 4:30 pm: end of field trip
- 6 pm: Group dinner and discussion / conference poster ideation